Mr. John D’Silva is a veteran in the banking community. After graduation he joined Glaxo, the multinational Pharmaceutical Company but set his sights higher. His first ever achievement was starting a school in the name of the Society. In 1962 he was instrumental in forming the New Cosmopolitan Education Society at Abhyudaya Nagar, where he was residing. It was renamed as Abhyudaya Education Society in 1964.
He has the unique distinction of organizing and laying firm footing to the following four co-operative Banks:
- Abhyudaya Co-op. Bank Ltd., as its Chief promoter and First Managing director.
- New India Co-op. Bank Ltd., as its promoter and First Managing Director.
- Citizencredit Co-op. Bank Ltd., as its Chief promoter and First Chairman.
- Model Co-op. Bank Ltd., as its Chief promoter and First Chairman.
Was associated with the following Organizations/Institutions:
- Chief Promoter and First Chairman: Brihan Mumbai Nagari Banks Association Ltd.
- Promoter and Director: National Federation of Urban Co-operative Banks and credit Societies Ltd., New Delhi.
- Advisory Committee Member: Reserve Bank of India College of Agricultural Banking.
- Visiting Faculty.
- (i) Reserve Bank of India College of Agricultural Banking.
- (ii) Vaikunth Mehta National Institute of Co-op Management.
- Chairman: Lokmitra Sahakari Mudran Prakashan Sanstha Maryadit.
- Hon. Secretary and Managing Committee Member: Indian Banks Association.
- Founder Secretary: Banks Sports Board of Indian Banks Association.
- Chairman: Reserve Bank of India Committee of Extensions of Bombay Bankers Clearing House.
- Member: Mumbai Housing and Area Development Board.
- Founder Secretary: Abhyudaya Education Society.
He is at present associated with the following organizations / Institutions:
- A. Editor-in-Chief: Co-operative Bankers Handbook
- B. Editor-in-Chief: Urban Banks All India Directory.
- C. President: Mangalorean Catholic Educational Co-op Credit Society Ltd.
- D. President: Fuddar Prathisttan
- E. Vice-Chairman: Christian Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
- F. Vice-President: Konkani Bhasha Mandal Maharashtra.
He has the following Awards to his credit:
- i. Entrepreneur of the year 2005 Award from Rachana, Mangalore.
- ii. Lifetime Achievement Award-2008 from Federation of Konkani Catholic Associations of Karnataka, Bangalore.
- iii. Distinguished Achievement Awards-2008 to Outstanding Konkani from Dr. T. M. A. Pai Foundation, Manipal.