A P Kurian
Chairman Association of Mutual Funds in India (AMFI), India
A. P. Kurian has a career in the financial services industry spread over more than four decades and has held senior positions in the Reserve Bank of India and in the erstwhile Unit Trust of India. Since July 1998 he is the Executive Chairman of Association of Mutual Funds in India (AMFI) - a trade body of all the Mutual Funds operating in India. He also holds several positions – Chairman of Geogit Financial Services Ltd., Member of the Board of National Stock Exchange of India Ltd., Executive Committee of National Securities Depository Ltd., Technical Advisory Committee of RBI, Member of SEBI Advisory Committee of Mutual Funds and on the Boards of several Companies.
He has extensive professional experience in the international arena. He was a leader of the team which set up the Ceybank Unit Trust in Sri Lanka in early nineties. He was a Common Wealth Consultant and did research in Capital Markets in Tanzania and made a project report for setting up a Unit Trust in Tanzania. Starting his career as Research Officer - Economic Department, Reserve Bank of India, he grew up to the rank of Director and Advisor - Economic Department. Since 1975 he was with erstwhile Unit Trust of India, the then only Mutual Fund in the country and held several Senior positions such as Director – Investment, Director – Planning and Development and from 1987 till 1993, he was the Executive Trustee equivalent to Managing Director. He was actively involved in the Design and Marketing of several Mutual Fund schemes.
He works closely with the Regulator – Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) to put in place highest professional standards and in promoting the Mutual Fund industry on healthy lines. He took his Masters Degree in Economics and Statistics holding University Rank. He was the first student from Kerala University to be the National Scholar and he did Research in Economics in the University of Kerala.
Mr. Augustine F. Pinto
Born in Mangalore on August 28, 1944, Mr. Augustine F. Pinto arrived in Mumbai in the early 70s after completing education in Mangalore and at St. Loyola College, Madras. His teaching career began with a stint at St. Joseph’s Boys School, Bangalore and later on in Mumbai.
Mr. Pinto is the Chief Executive of the Ryan International Group of Institutions, a network of 110 schools spread across 15 states with about 2,00,000 children enrolled in them. Around 8000 teachers educate this voluminous population.
The first school at Malad in Mumbai was opened in 1976, being motivated by the dearth of quality schools. Now the Ryan group of Institutions are spread across:
- Mumbai region - Thane, Navi Mumbai, Nagpur, Nasik, Jalna, Aurangabad,
- Madhya Pradesh
He opened the Ryan International Group of Institutions in Delhi in the year 1991, followed closely by similar openings in Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh.
Dr. Pinto, a visionary and a pioneer in education, was the first to recognize the many tribulations that beset the educational system. He removed some of the major flaws like:
- Bulging school bags and introduced play way method of teaching for children upto the primary level.
He was one among the first to realize the setting in of InfoTech age in India and therefore introduced computer literacy classes from standard I in all his schools as early as 1986.
Dr. Pinto’s creative vision of evolving youngest breed of technicians, anchors, camera persons and production house was fulfilled with the launch of Ryan T.V. at Ryan International School Malad on 26th June 2003. It is India’s first school to run an in house television broadcasting station with digital equipment as certified by the Limca Book of Records.
Dr. Pinto introduced internationalism in the curriculum by registering the students in various international events and programmes:
- Quality Control Education – students participated in the Quality Circle Conventions abroad and won the
- Juran award in Mauritius
- The Best Session’s Award in Singapore
- 5th ICSQCC convention held in Kentucky, USA
Caring for the education of the under privileged, Dr. Pinto started Anubhav School in Gurgaon Haryana and the Radiant School, Panvel, Navi Mumbai where education is provided to children of construction workers, slum dwellers and from impoverished homes to appear for the SSC exams and receive vocational training. A child educated from Abnubhav School topped at the Board examination in Haryana.
Deeply committed to the cause of uplifting the downtrodden, Dr. Pinto takes a keen interest in promoting and catering to the welfare of senior citizens. On 1st October 2003 the honourable President of India Sri A.P.J. Abdul Kalam presented the Samson A. Daniel Award for the highest contribution made by Dr. Pinto through his schools to Help Age India.
Dr. Pinto provided infrastructural assistance of Rs. 50 Lakhs to 3 villages in Cuddalore district in Tamil Nadu. A big asbestos shed has also been constructed to help the fishermen of the entire district to store and supply the catch of fish and a big wooden ice box for the preservation of the same. Mahindra- max pick up vans were gifted to the villagers to transport the fish catch to the main market.
Dr. Pinto appointed as the Sheriff of Mumbai in 2000 has been awarded as the International man of the Year 2001, by the International biographical centre UK and also the Faith Award 2004 for his commendable efforts towards the enhancement of education all over India.
Dr. Pinto and Madam Grace Pinto were among the 7 Indians invited to Washington DC by the committee to the National Prayer Breakfast presided by the President of the USA along with the Vice President and leading dignitaries of the world.
Mr. Daniel A Fernandes
Date of Birth : 18-Jun-1939
Residential Address : ‘JACINTHA’, Plot No-42, Sher-E-Punjab Coop: Housing Society, Andheri (E) Mumbai-93
Business Profile and Achievements
Mr. Daniel A. Fernandes hails from a place called Chirayinkil in Thiruvananthapuram District of Kerala. He is a self-made man. At the age of 14, after the demise of his parents he was brought to Mumbai by his elder brother and started his career as an apprentice in a Private Sheet metal working unit.
Although education was uppermost in his mind his long hours at work did not permit him to go for further studies. Within a short passage of time his dedication and sincerity paid off and he rose to the rank of a Factory Supervisor.
He has now been in the Plastic Scenario for well over 3 decades and made a tremendous impact in manufacture of Plastic Injection Moulded articles He has also set up the biggest plastic Moulding factory in Kerala for the manufacture of superior quality plastic products. This factory, by name ‘Family Plastics & Thermoware’ manufactures more than 300 varieties of Plastic products which include house hold articles, Garden pots, moulded furniture etc. In addition to domestic market family plastics products are also being exported to countries such as United Kingdom, USA, Australia, Gulf Countries, South Africa, Dominican Republic, Djibouti , SriLanka, Maldives and Mauritius also.
Mr. Daniel A. Fernandes has so far bagged several awards and few of them are the following:-
- ‘UDYOG PATRA’ Award offered by the Institute of Trade and Industrial Development, new Delhi for ‘Self made industrialist’
- “Excellence Award” from the Indian Council for Small and Medium Exporters, New Delhi.
- Gold Medal for the year 1998 from the “SPECIAL EXECUTIVE MAGISTRATES” society.
- “CERTIFICATE OF EXPORT EXCELLENCE” from the Engineering Export Promotion Council without a break for the past few years and for the last 2 years received highest Exporter ‘Trophy’
- He has also been awarded with a ‘BEST ENTREPRENEUR’ Award from the Government of Kerala.
Mr. Daniel is also a member of many organizations for social activities.
Dr. J. ARTHUR PREM
Deputy Commissioner, Customs and Central Excise: IRS (Rtd.)
- B. Tech (Textiles) in the year 1971 from Technological Institute of Textiles, Bhiwani in First Division.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Business Administration, Bombay, 1977.
- Ph. D. from University of Louisiana, USA in 2008
- Served in the Textile Industry in various capacities from '71-'74
- Industries Promotion Officer under the Ministry of Industry, Govt. of India, at Ahmedabad. '74-'75
- Research Officer, Central Labour Institute, Ministry of Labour, Govt. of India Mumbai in December 1975 and developed the Disposable Breathing Mask using fibrous blend for the first time in the country for the safety of workers who encounter dust in their work environment.
- Joined INDIAN CUSTOMS at Mumbai in the year 1980 as Machinery Expert
- Assistant Commissioner of Customs (Indian Revenue Services) in 1990 to June’ 98 - Customs & Central Excise, Mumbai
- Commended for the distinguished services in Customs & Central Excise in the year 1997.
- Divisional Deputy Commissioner, Central Excise & Customs : 1998 to 2001- Pune & Ahmedabad
- Founder Chairman of CROSSROADS Prison Ministries, (a non-Govt. organisation) engaged in counseling, correction and rehabilitation of prisoners, ex-prisoners, their family members and remand home youth since its inception in 1991.
- Managing Trustee, Twitter Education Trust (Estd. 1986), Mumbai.
- Member, Board of Directors, Bombay YMCA
- Chairman, YMCA Vocational Training Centre, Andheri, Mumbai
Justice Aloysius S. Aguiar (Rtd)
Born at Bombay on 8th October, 1943
- Graduated in Arts from St. Xavier’s College and in Law from K.C. Law College, Bombay.
- Enrolled as an advocate on the list of Bar council of Maharasthtra on 14.8.1969
- Qualified as an attorney of the High Court of Judicature, Bombay in April 1976.
- Registered as a Solicitor of Supreme Court of England and Wales in May 1983
- Part time Professor Law at New Law college, Matunga, Bombay during the period 1976-1987
- Appointed Judge of the City Civil and Sessions Courts, Greater Bombay wef 1.9.1987
- Appointed Principal Judge, City Civil and Sessions Court, Bombay wef 26.7.1996. Elevated to the Bombay High Court, wef. 28.3.2001
- Chairman of Maharashtra State Advisory Board, under the Juvenile Justice Act
- Chairman of Enquiry commission – Unauthorised construction in KDMC, area
- On Panel of Arbitrators:-
a) Indian Council of Arbitration
b) Indian Merchants Chamber
c) National Stock Exchange.